The HXC Floppy Emulator is a very smart device designed by Jean-François DEL NERO. It allows you to emulate any 34-pin floppy disk drive. It can replace different kinds of floppy disk drives and allows you use SD Card media instead of floppy disks. This emulator is actually used with Amiga, Atari, CPC, PC computers, different keyboards and samplers, CNC machine tools, and scientific instruments...
Basically, it's a drop-in replacement for classic Floppy drives - but instead of a floppy disk, you load the floppy disk image from an SD Card.
It works with almost any classic device that uses a standard 34-pin floppy connector, but you can see a huge list (with pictures and videos!) on the official site:
A nice little showroom can be found here:
You can find a downloadable manual, firmware updates and more here:
* HE10 34-pin floppy connector
* Hundreds of computers, keyboards/samplers/synths and CNC machines supported!
* 3", 3"1/2, 5"1/4, 8" disks emulation supported...
* Single and Double sided disks supported.
* FM / SD, MFM / DD or HD densities supported.
* Bitrate : 125Kb/s, 250Kb/s, 300Kb/s, 500Kb/s...
* All RPM supported : 300 RPM, 360 RPM, 600 RPM...
* All sector sizes supported : 128B, 256B, 512B, 1024B, 2048B, 4096B... Mixed sector sizes supported.
* All track skew and sector interleaving supported.
* Up to 255 tracks per disk supported..
* Shugart compatible mode supported.
* PC compatible mode supported.
* Two floppy disk drives emulation
* 5V +/- 10% standard power floppy connector input.
* 2 LEDs ("Floppy access LED"," SDCard access LED ").
* 3 buttons ("Next","Select/Eject","Previous").
* 1 audio transducer.
* 2*16 chars Alphanumerical LCD (LCD and buttons can be put on an external front panel)
* On screen display software for Atari ST, Amstrad CPC and Amiga Computers
* SD Card up to 2 GB.
* SDHC Card supported up to 32 GB (10 MHz SPI bus mode. Average byte rate: ~500KB/s)
* FAT32 supported. Subdirectory and long name file supported.
List of supported file images type:
* ST, MSA, ADF, ADZ, DMS, DMZ, CPC DSK (standard and extended)
* CopyQM DSK, Oric DSK, IMG, SMC,MSX DSK, IMD, Zx Spectrum DSK, BetaDisk TRD,
* BetaDisk SCL, Thomson TO8D SAP, Thomson TO8D FD, PC88 D88, x68000 HDM (beta), x68000 XDF (beta), custom raw floppy geometry…
* An AmigaDOS or FAT12 floppy disk image can also be generated from spares files.
Read / Write support:
* Track mode based floppy emulator (Full track pre-encoded in the HFE image file)
* Read support: Most of existing formats (FM/MFM/Amiga track...) supported.
* Custom tracks supported.
* ISO MFM (DD/HD) & FM (SD) 128/256/512/1024/2048/4096 Bytes sectors write support.
* Arburg CNC write support.
* Emu Emulator/SP1200 Write support.
* Amiga write support.
Floppy bitrate supported:
* 125/250/300Kbits/s (SD/DD floppies)
* 500Kbits/s (HD floppies)
* other bitrates possible
Inside the box:
* grey front panel sticker
Note: Variable bitrate not supported, so protected floppy disk image (IPF and STX file format) file support will be only partial!